pioneerdream@gmail.com

How I Make Bee Skeps...I Cheat!!

I have received many emails and comments, asking me how I make my bee skeps~

There are 2 ways to make them.
The real way, with straw ...
and a faux bee skep (cheater) way!
To know how to make a real bee skep, the best tutorial I have found is here: http://www.colonialsense.com/How-To_Guides/Outdoors/Bee_Skep.php
But...if you are a suburb/city gal without a supply of straw on hand... (or if it's the middle of winter)  a bee skep may be made from raffia from the dollarstore, and twine!

~How to Make an Ice Cream Container/Easy Raffia Hive~
(this hive above I stitched using raffia itself instead of twine.  I recommend using twine- it makes it so much easier!!)
here is how I cheat: 
My bee skeps are sewn onto something! Like a bell shaped basket  or ..even an ice cream container!! hee hee!(since raffia will not stand up on it's own, it requires a base.)

-Wear a mask.~ you really don't want to breathe in raffia dust!
-For a basket, I sew through the slats.
-For an ice cream container, I drill holes (staggered/intermittently) every 1 inch.Thus you will sew every 1 inch, with a needle that has a large eye to hold the twine.
~Don't worry about making the holes perfect, in fact..add a few extra... and you can always poke a hole with an exacto if you need an extra hole as you sew.No big deal.
USE ROW 1 OF HOLES (AT THE BOTTOM) FOR THE FIRST 2 ROWS OF RAFFIA. THE THIRD ROW OF RAFFIA IS SEWN DOWNWARDS INTO THE 2nd ROW OF HOLES, THE FOURTH ROW OF RAFFIA IS SEWN DOWN INTO THE 3rd ROW OF HOLES...etc.
Real bee skeps are done from top to bottom. Faux bee skeps like mine,(for display purposes) are sewn bottom to top.
-How much raffia will I need? For a large one, approx. 8 packs, for a medium sized one, 6-7 packs of raffia.
-What do I do when my twine threader runs out? Sew back inside, tie a knot and start with new twine.
-What kind of twine do you use?I use hemp twine from walmart.
-I keep losing my threader amidst the pack of raffia as I sew! Mark the twine close to your large needle, mark it with red or green.
-What do I do when the raffia runs out/thins?  You must continually add long pieces of raffia over and over with each stitch, hiding the new raffia's under the original bunch, and continue sewing, adding as you go. 
You want to keep your raffia bunch 1 inch thick all the time.
-Is there a particular kind of raffia you use?Not really..although I prefer the "natural "raffia, which comes in a darker, straw like color..
-How do I keep the container from showing through each row or raffia? Sew slightly downwards in the hole that is underneath the last row, and ensure your raffia is 1 inch thick, and pulled tightly.
-How do I finish off the top?Only the first 2 rows at the top are sewn on (see circle above), the rest is twirled round and round, and glued round and round to fill in the center of the container. You may twirl around several levels to get more of a dome shape /height at the top if you wish. Use hot glue very sparingly, you don't want it to show.

-How do I make the opening? The opening is just a square hole cut in the container, between holes, with an exacto knife. (Be careful).Sew VERY tightly and knot tightly before cutting the raffia. CUT THE RAFFIA SLIGHTLY LONGER PAST THE HOLE.
 HIVE HOLE SHOULD BE A WIDE AS THAT 1 RAFFIA ROW. (usually on row #3) NO TALLER, NO WIDER~
You can leave your hive natural, or, you can age it using paint and CAT LITTER!
Hee Hee, yup! An ice cream container/cat litter HIVE!
A good sized hive takes 3-4 hours, but you will save LOADS of money, as a hive will cost you less than 10 bucks! However...I am a slow crafter, and a bit of a perfectionist,lol, so I think one could be done in about 2 hours, especially with practice...
You can paint the inside with acrylic paints to camouflauge the container.
*Pamela*

Pin It

10 comments:

Carmen and the Primcats said...

Genius! I need to find a container! :)

Carmen and the Primcats

NMK said...

What a neat idea !!!

Primitive Stars said...

Wow!!! Love that idea....I always wanted a bee skep maybe now I will have one...thanks for sharing, Francine.

Le rat des fils said...

Gorgeous !
I love it.
Thank you very very much.

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Love it! Great tut! Thanks so much.

Amy Kinser said...

Wow!!! How cool is that! You are one smart lady.

Amy Kinser said...

I got your message about my music. So glad you like it. I am not sure which song you are referring to. Can you go back to my blog and scroll way down and my music selections should be on the right side bar. Let me know if you do not find them.

Farmhouse prims said...

Hi Pamela, awesome tutorial! Thank you for sharing, I love seeing what you are going to make next. hugs, Lecia

An Historical Lady said...

You're amazing!
Mary
http://anhistoricallady.blogspot.com

Earlene Landis said...

Pamela contact me...you won my giveaway for current followers..congrats!
Need your address.
Earlene

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...